1. Where is your office and do I need an appointment to speak with someone?

Answer:  We are located at 800 Washington Street in the Student Services Building suite 200.  We always have staff on hand to help you between 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday.

2. I did my FAFSA when do I receive my Award Letter?

Answer:  We will begin mailing the prospective freshman and transfer students award packages in early March.  Returning students will begin receiving award notifications by email in May, after spring grades have posted.

3. What do I do if my family’s income has changed since the 2016 taxes were filed?

Answer:  There is an appeal process in which we will evaluate the difference of income from your 2016 tax return and your current income from 2017.  Please visit our Appeals page for more information.

4. I am thinking of attending Summer School will I have financial aid?

Answer:  Financial aid may be available for Summer classes. Read more on our Summer page.  

5. Can the financial aid office cancel my loan if I decide i don't need it? 

Answer:  Yes we can.  You must submit your request no later than 14 days after the disbursement.  If the loan has already been paid to the Bursar or you have received a refund the loan amount will have to be paid back to the Bursar’s office immediately.  

6. I have an outside scholarship do I need to notify you of this?

Answer:  Yes.  You will need to complete the scholarship reporting form and return it to the Bursar.  Scholarships Reporting Form

7. Why has my aid not paid to the Bursar?

Answer: Please make sure to check your VT email for any requested documents.  This can delay your aid.  Example:  To receive a loan, you must complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and the entrance counseling on www.studentloans.gov 

8. What is the difference between Unsubsidized and Subsidized direct loans? 

 Answer: The Subsidized loan is only available to undergraduate students and eligibility is based on demonstrated financial need.  The Federal Government pays the interest while you are in school at half time, during the grace period and during periods of authorized deferment. Unsubsidized loans are available to undergraduate and graduate students. Eligibility is not based on financial need and the borrower is responsible for paying all interest.  Both loans have a 6 months grace period after graduation or going below ½ time enrollment before payment begins.  

9. Where do my parents apply for the Parent Plus loan?

Answer: The parent PLUS application is available at www.studentloans.gov. The decision is based on credit and you will know if you are approved or denied at the end of application.