Virginia Tech® home

Professional Judgment Appeal

Professional Judgment Appeal

In some cases, students and parents find the information they provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) no longer reflects their current financial situation. When circumstances change, students may request a Professional Judgment Appeal by following the process below.

Our staff strives to provide individual consideration of each student's circumstance. Appeals will be reviewed by a committee of University Scholarships and Financial Aid Staff.  Students should monitor their Virginia Tech email closely after submitting appeals, in case additional information is requested by the committee.

2024-2025 Academic Year Dates

Professional Judgment Appeal process opens May 15, 2024

There are no deadlines but we are limited at the end of the semester by the time it takes to process appeals.

Please note that schools cannot yet update FAFSAs with the Department of Education. While we can still review the Professional Judgment Appeal, final changes to the student's financial aid award will be delayed until we can make changes to the FAFSA.

Please allow at least three weeks after submitting all requested documentation for appeal results. We are working these as quickly as we can. Please note: a successful appeal does not guarantee additional aid, and sometimes additional aid is not immediately available. You may be put on a waitlist for certain funds.

Special circumstances for filing a Professional Judgment Appeal include, but are not limited to the following situations:

  • Death of a student’s parent or spouse
  • The family has incurred extraordinary medical/dental expenses
  • The student’s parent is attending college at least half-time in a degree-seeking program
  • The student or the student’s parents have separated or divorced
  • The student’s or parent(s)’ income has been significantly reduced in the current year
  • The student or parent(s) no longer receives recurring income, such as child support, taxable social security, alimony, or other sources of income
  • The parent or student has received payment(s) of non-recurring income  (i.e. severance package, bonus, etc...) which were unavailable for educational expenses.
  • Proceeds from the voluntary or involuntary foreclosure, forfeiture, bankruptcy, or involuntary liquidation of a family farm or business assets that inflate income and/or assets.

Appeal Requirements

If you would like to inquire about a possible Professional Judgment Appeal, please email our office at or call 540-231-5179 to speak to an advisor about your unique circumstances.

Please note: Only submit documentation and forms upon request!