How to Apply for Aid
The Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA)
File your FAFSA each year to be reviewed for federal and Virginia state financial aid programs and for institutional scholarship and grant programs. For maximum scholarship and financial aid consider file your FAFSA and the General Scholarship Application by Janaury 22.
Federal Student Aid, the office of the US Department of Education that manages the FAFSA, notified colleges and universities in early 2023 that the 2024-2025 FAFSA will not be available by it's regular open date of October 1. We will update our website with information about the 2024-2025 FAFSA as it becomes available.
The Virginia Alternative State Aid (VASA) application
Review this option if you are Virginia student otherwise ineligible to file the FAFSA. Virginia Tech's priority filing deadline for state aid programs is March 1.
Visit our Transfer Students Guide to find out more about transferring to Virginia Tech. You can also visit our Academic Scholarships.
Virginia Tech partners with KHEAA for the verification process. Students selected to verify their FAFSA data will receive an email with instruction on how to complete verification with KHEAA. For additional information and KHEAA contact information, click the Verification heading above.
Important Financial Aid/Scholarship Dates
- late August - VT Scholarship Central opens for prospective and current students
- October 1 - The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opens. (Please note, Federal Student Aid notified colleges and universities that the 2024-2025 FAFSA will not open on October 1, 2023. We will update this date as soon as we know when the 2024-2025 FAFSA will be available.)
- mid-December - Early Decision admissions notifications sent including financial aid/scholarship notifications (financial aid notifications included if FAFSA received by December 1)
- January 22 - deadline to complete the FAFSA and General Scholarship Application for maxmimum scholarship and financial aid consideration
- late February - Early Action admissions notifications sent including financial aid/scholarship notifications
- March 1 - priority deadline for Virginia State Financial Aid Programs and institutional aid
- early March - Regular Decision admissions notifications sent including financial aid/ scholarship notifications
- early June - continuing student financial aid/scholarship notifications sent
- mid- July - fall semester bills available
- August 10 - fall semester bills due