Cost of Attendance Appeal
Virginia Tech establishes a Cost of Attendance (COA) each academic year. In some cases, the COA may differ from the figures posted, based on variables such as campus location, supplemental program fees and dormitory costs.
The COA also serves as the maximum cap for financial aid. Under certain circumstances, students whose awards reach that COA limit may appeal for additional aid eligibility. Prior to submitting an appeal, students should review the COA figures available in the financial aid award notification (on Hokie SPA) to determine if an appeal is necessary.
20-21 Academic Year:
- November 6, 2020 - students attending Fall 2020 semester only.
- April 2, 2021 - students attending Fall 2020 and Spring 2021, or Spring 2021 only.
Please allow two weeks for processing (four weeks during peak processing periods of June through August). It is important to remember that approval of an appeal does not guarantee receipt of additional aid. Also, because certain additional aid resources are limited, we recommend filing as soon as possible.
- Books and supply expenses exceed the current COA allocation.
- The student has child care expenses.
- Housing and meal expenses exceed the current COA allocation.
- The student needs to purchase a computer.
Please note - the following are not considered for a Cost of Attendance Appeal:
- Credit card debt
- Car purchase
- Car repairs
- Car insurance
- In-state travel expenses