Virginia Tech® home

Study Abroad

Financial Aid for Study Abroad

Use your federal student loans, private loans, grants, and scholarships to help pay for your education abroad.

  1. Submit the FAFSA. For study abroad trips during the 2023-2024 academic year (including summer 2024), file the 2023-2024 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For trips during the 2024-2025 academic year (including fall 2024, winter 2024-2025, spring 2025, and summer 2025), file the 2024-2025 FAFSA.          
  2. Complete the financial aid form on the Global Education Office’s My Study Abroad Portal. If you do not complete this during the application stage, you will do so during the post-decision stage. 
  3. In most cases, the student should have already received a financial aid award package for their Blacksburg campus attendance. The award package is unlikely to increase once the Cost of Attendance (COA) is adjusted to reflect the cost of the trip abroad. Depending on what type of program you participate in, state grants or institutional grants or scholarships may be reduced or cancelled. Seeking additional aid resources for most study abroad trips include the Parent PLUS loan and/or private loans.
  4. Virginia Tech requires students to be enrolled full-time (at least 12 credits) for fall and spring trips, are highly recommended to be enrolled half-time (at least 6 credits) for summer trips, and enrolled at least 3 credits for winter trips
  5. We strongly encourage you to contact a financial aid advisor to go over what aid can apply to your trip.
  • After students submit the Global Education Office’s financial aid form on their My Study Abroad portal, our office will adjust their Cost of Attendance (COA) in the month before the start of the term abroad (i.e., spring semester trips will be adjusted in late November or early December).
  • Per Federal regulations, aid for the term abroad cannot disburse before the start of the Virginia Tech semester that coincides with the term abroad. Because of this, any program fees that are due before your trip abroad must be paid out of pocket without financial aid.
  • It is important that transcripts (from the host university abroad) be received and processed promptly. You will receive a one semester grace period in which you will be allowed to receive financial aid while awaiting the receipt and evaluation of your transcript.
  • These programs all require a contractual agreement since you would be enrolled in another school abroad. This form will be provided to you by the Global Education Office in the months leading up to your trip abroad.
  • Study abroad programs hosted by another college or university within the United States will require a consortium agreement (instead of a contractual agreement) from our office (not from the Global Education Office).  
  • Some types of financial aid cannot be used with some programs, namely third party and non-VT programs. A financial aid advisor can review the student's award package to see what is eligible to apply towards their program.
  • Financial aid for the term abroad will not disburse until the student has reached their destination and begun attending classes abroad. Students must complete and submit a Verification of Enrollment form to confirm enrollment abroad. This form will be provided by the Global Education Office. 

There is no guarantee that financial aid will cover your costs for the Education Abroad Program.

It is helpful to discuss your financial aid options with a financial aid advisor. To speak with an advisor, call 540-231-5179 or stop by the Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid. We welcome walk-ins in our office on the second floor of the Student Services Building.