- Submit the FAFSA. For study abroad trips during the 2023-2024 academic year (including fall 2023, winter 2023-2024, spring 2024, or summer 2024), file the 2023-2024 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Complete the financial aid form on the Global Education Office’s My Study Abroad Portal.
- In most cases, the student should have already received a financial aid award package for their Blacksburg campus attendance. The award package is unlikely to increase once the Cost of Attendance (COA) is adjusted to reflect the cost of the trip abroad. Additional aid resources for most study abroad trips include the Parent PLUS loan and/or private loans.
- Virginia Tech requires students to be enrolled full-time (at least 12 credits) for fall and spring trips and half-time (at least 6 credits) for summer trips.
- We strongly suggest that you contact a financial aid advisor to go over what aid can apply to your trip.
- After students submit the Global Education Office’s financial aid form on their My Study Abroad portal, our office will adjust their Cost of Attendance (COA) in the month before the start of the term abroad (i.e., spring semester trips will be adjusted in late November or early December).
- Per Federal regulations, aid for the term abroad cannot disburse before the start of the Virginia Tech semester that coincides with the term abroad. Because of this, any program fees that are due before your trip abroad must be paid out of pocket without financial aid.
- It is important that transcripts (from the host university abroad) be received and processed promptly. You will receive a one semester grace period in which you will be allowed to receive financial aid while awaiting the receipt and evaluation of your transcript.
- These programs all require a separate Contractual agreement since they involve enrollment through another university. Such programs will require additional forms through the Global Education Office.
- Some types of financial aid cannot be used with these programs. A financial aid advisor can review the student's award package to see what is eligible to apply towards their program.
- Aid disbursement may be delayed further than the start of the Virginia Tech semester in which the student is studying abroad. Financial aid funds will not disburse until the student has reaches their destination and officially begins attending classes abroad. Students must complete and submit a Verification of Enrollment form to confirm enrollment abroad. Return this form to the Global Education Office.
You should complete most requirements well in advance of program departure date.
- There is no guarantee that financial aid will cover your costs for the Education Abroad Program.
- It is helpful to discuss your financial aid options with a financial aid advisor. To speak with an advisor, call 540-231-5179 or stop by the Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid. We welcome walk-ins in our office on the second floor of the Student Services Building.