FAFSA Data Appeal
Our staff strives to provide individual consideration of each student's circumstance. Appeals will be reviewed by a committee of University Scholarships and Financial Aid Staff. Students should monitor their Virginia Tech email closely after submitting appeals, in case additional information is requested by the committee.
2022-2023 Academic Year Deadlines
- November 5, 2022 - students attending fall 2022 semester only
- April 4, 2023 - students attending either both fall 2022 and spring 2023 or spring 2023 only
2023-2024 Academic Year Deadlines
- November 3, 2023 - student attending fall 2023 semester only
- April 5, 2024 - student attending either both fall 2023 and spring 2024 or spring 2024 only
Please allow two to four weeks after submitting all requested documentation, for appeal results. We are working these as quickly as we can. Please note: a successful appeal does not guarantee additional aid, and sometimes additional aid is not immediately available. You may be put on a waitlist for certain funds.
Reasons for filing a FAFSA Data Appeal include, but are not limited to the following:
- Death of a student’s parent or spouse
- The family has incurred extraordinary medical/dental expenses
- The student’s parent is attending college at least half-time in a degree-seeking program
- The student or the student’s parents have separated or divorced
- The student’s or parent(s)’ income has been significantly reduced in the current year
- The student or parent(s) no longer receives recurring income, such as child support, taxable social security, alimony, or other sources of income
- The parent or student has received payment(s) of non-recurring income (i.e. severance package, bonus, etc...) which were unavailable for educational expenses.
- Proceeds from the voluntary or involuntary foreclosure, forfeiture, bankruptcy, or involuntary liquidation of a family farm or business assets that inflate income and/or assets.
If you would like to inquire about a possible FAFSA Data Appeal, please email our office at email@example.com or call 540-231-5179 to speak to an advisor about your unique circumstances.
Please note: Only submit documentation and forms upon request!