In some cases, students and parents find the information they provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) no longer reflects their current financial situation. When circumstances change, students may request a FAFSA data appeal by following the process below.
Our staff strives to provide individual consideration of each student's circumstance. Appeals will be reviewed by a committee of University Scholarships and Financial Aid Staff. Students should monitor their Virginia Tech email closely after submitting appeals, in case additional information is requested by the Committee.
Deadlines to submit an appeal in the 2018-19 school year:
- November 9, 2018 - for students attending fall semester only.
- April 5, 2019 - students attending Fall 2018 and Spring 2019, or Spring 2019 only.
Please allow three weeks, after submitting all requested documentation, for appeal results.
(Please note: a successful appeal does not guarantee additional aid, and sometimes additional aid is not immediately available.)
Examples reasons for filing a FAFSA Data Appeal include, but are not limited to the following:
- Death of a student’s parent or spouse
- The family has incurred extraordinary medical/dental expenses
- The student’s parent is attending college at least half-time in a degree-seeking program
- The student’s parent has retired
- The student or the student’s parents have separated or divorced
- The student’s or parent(s)’ income has been significantly reduced in the current year
- The student or parent(s) no longer receives recurring income, such as child support, taxable social security, alimony, or other sources of income
- The parent or student has received payment(s) of non-recurring income (i.e. severance package, bonus, etc...) which were unavailable for educational expenses
If you would like to submit a FAFSA Data Appeal, please contact our office by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (540-231-5179).
NOTE: Only submit documentation and forms upon request!
FAFSA data will be verified first by the request for a Tax Return Transcript and Verification Worksheet.