FAFSA Data Appeal
In some cases, students and parents find the information they provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) no longer reflects their current financial situation. When circumstances change, students may request a FAFSA data appeal by following the process below.
Our staff strives to provide individual consideration of each student's circumstance. Appeals will be reviewed by a committee of University Scholarships and Financial Aid Staff. Students should monitor their Virginia Tech email closely after submitting appeals, in case additional information is requested by the committee.
20-21 Academic Year:
- November 6, 2020 - students attending Fall 2020 semester only.
- April 2, 2021 - students attending Fall 2020 and Spring 2021, or Spring 2021 only.
Please allow four weeks, after submitting all requested documentation, for appeal results. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, economic situations have changed for many families. We are working these as quickly as we can. Please note: a successful appeal does not guarantee additional aid, and sometimes additional aid is not immediately available.
Reasons for filing a FAFSA Data Appeal include, but are not limited to the following:
- Death of a student’s parent or spouse
- The family has incurred extraordinary medical/dental expenses
- The student’s parent is attending college at least half-time in a degree-seeking program
- The student or the student’s parents have separated or divorced
- The student’s or parent(s)’ income has been significantly reduced in the current year
- The student or parent(s) no longer receives recurring income, such as child support, taxable social security, alimony, or other sources of income
- The parent or student has received payment(s) of non-recurring income (i.e. severance package, bonus, etc...) which were unavailable for educational expenses
If you would like to inquire about a possible FAFSA Data Appeal, please email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540-231-5179 to speak to an advisor about your unique circumstances.
NOTE: Only submit documentation and forms upon request!
FAFSA data will need be verified first to make sure all original information is correct before making any adjustments.
The FAFSA Data appeal is in the Forms section.