Masters of Natural Resources
Financial aid is available for students in the Masters of Natural Resources (MNR) programs offered at Virginia Tech. There are two degree options within this program.
- Online Masters of Natural Resources. (OMNR) – a 30 credit hour combining online coursework and an international field experience.
- Executive Masters of Natural Resources (XMNR) – an accelerated 12 month cohort-based program which begins a new program each January.
Financial Aid for Masters of Natural Resources Students
Eligible students must be enrolled at least half-time (5 credits) in a degree-seeking program, have filed the FAFSA, and meet all other requirements for Federal Loans. The loans available to you as a MNR students are:
- Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan – the maximum amount a student can receive each academic year (fall/spring/summer terms) is $20,500. The loan will be offered to you and you can choose to accept the full amount, a partial amount, or decline the loan through the Hokie SPA. The loan amount offered to you will be evenly split between the fall and spring semesters.
- Federal Graduate PLUS Loan – the maximum amount you can receive in this loan is the difference between your cost of attendance (COA) and any other financial aid (loans, scholarships). If you are interested in this loan, you must submit an application. This loan requires an approved credit check.
- Private/Alternative Loan – this loan is an educational loan through a private lender. The maximum amount you can receive in this loan is the difference between your cost of attendance (COA) and any other financial aid (loans, scholarships). This type of loan also requires an approved credit check.
Please note that scholarships, assistantships, and fellowships will reduce your federal and private loan eligibility.
All financial aid program rules apply to MNR students as well as all other University Scholarships and Financial Aid rules. In order to recieve federal student loans, a FAFSA must be submitted for each academic year of the program.