Presidential Scholarship Program
Each year, through Presidential Scholarship Initiative, Virginia Tech will offer a maximum of 95 Virginia residents renewable, four-year scholarships and will be welcomed into a comprehensive academic and social support community.
Potentially eligible students will automatically be considered for the Virginia Tech Presidential Scholarship Initiative. There is no application required other than completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the General Scholarship Application deadline of January 22nd. Selection will be based on a formula that takes into account the students' Federal Pell Grant eligibility, the strength of academic record and test scores, first-generation status, and family size. The candidates selected for the scholarship will be notified through their financial aid award package sent out shortly after their offer of admission.
In order to be considered, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Virginia resident for in-state tuition purposes.
- Graduate from a Virginia high school.
- Be Federal Pell Grant-eligible. A Pell-eligible student indicates significant financial need.
- Demonstrate potential for stellar academic performance.
- Show evidence of leadership potential.
*Preference will be given to students of first-generation families
Students selected as Virginia Tech Presidential Scholars will be awarded:
- Renewable, four-year financial packages for tuition, fees, room, and board*
- Structured, well-established academic support and enrichment
- Designated student orientation
- Social and community-building activities
- Faculty/student mentoring
* PSI recipients in a 5-year architecture program remain eligible for the program in their fifth year of study.
Virginia Tech Presidential Scholars must meet the following criteria for renewal:
- Submit the FAFSA application by the March 1st priority deadline.
- Must maintain continuous full-time enrollment.
- Earn 30 credit hours per aid year
- Maintain a 3.0 Cumulative GPA.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.