Outside scholarships are from organizations that are not a part of Virginia Tech. To research outside scholarships, we recommend that you:
- Begin the scholarship search a year prior to the academic year of the award.
- Contact your high school guidance departments if you are a high school senior.
- Check with the financial aid office of your current institution if you are a community college transfer student.
- Look for opportunities with local organizations (community service, non-profit agencies, place of worship, and employers.)
- Search the internet; many are found simply by exploring personal interests.
Note: Scholarship applications should be free. Scholarship services that charge either to search for scholarships or to file an application may be scams.