General Scholarships will not be applied to the university bill until a formal letter of thanks is received at the Donor Relations Office. Please send one thank you letter for each scholarship awarded to the Virginia Tech Office of Advancement at the address below. This office will forward your letter to the scholarship donor.
Tips to assist you in preparing your letter:
Use a quality bond paper or your personal stationery.
- Type your letter or write your letter by hand. It should be legible and neat.
- Be sure to include the date, a proper closing (such as “Sincerely”) and your handwritten signature.
- Include your return address (your college address or your permanent home address).
- Use the scholarship name provided for your salutation. (Example: Dear Dr. Smith Scholarship Committee)
- Mention the name of the scholarship in your letter.
- Express your gratitude for the scholarship. Use the words, “thank you.”
- You may want to provide information about yourself to include your major, your hometown, your special interests, your campus activities, your goals, or why you selected Virginia Tech.
- Tell the donor how the scholarship will help you – particularly how it will help you reach your goals.
- Be clear and concise.
- Check your spelling and grammar carefully. Double check to be sure that you spell the donor’s name and scholarship name correctly.
- Thank You Letters should be mailed to the following address:
Virginia Tech Office of Advancement (0336)
Attn: Donor Relations
902 Prices Fork Road
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Please contact our office if you have additional questions: