Winter Session is a shortened academic session which allows students to earn additional credits during the academic year.
Winter session financial aid is available only to students seeking a degree from Virginia Tech. Financial aid for eligible students is limited and available first-come, first-serve based on when a student registers for winter session courses.
All students must complete the 2023-2024 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for any winter session aid. Visit the Federal Student Aid website.
Winter Study Abroad Program - Students going on a study abroad trip during the winter session must complete the financial aid form on the Global Education Office's My Study Abroad Portal and be enrolled in the trip's credits for cost of attendance adjustments. USFA will receive notification of the cost of your program from the Global Education Office and will update your cost of attendance by mid-November to reflect the costs of your program; however, we do not guarantee any additional financial aid.
Students must be registered for classes to be considered for aid. A separate financial aid application is not required.
Financial aid available for students enrolled less than half-time credits (fall semester and winter session combined):
- Winter Session Grant – Funded by Virginia Tech, this grant requires unmet need as determined by the FAFSA.
- Pell Grant – USFA will evaluate Pell eligibility for students enrolled less than full-time for the fall semester with Winter Session enrollment by the last day to add for fall.
- Brooking Loan – Funded by Virginia Tech, this loan requires unmet need as determined by the FAFSA.
- Private Loans – If you are interested in applying for a private loan, please do so by November 21st to meet the December 10th deadline. For more information or to apply, visit our website.
In addition to the financial aid options listed above, the following options are available for students who will be enrolled half-time or more credits (fall semester and winter session combined):
- Federal Parent PLUS Loan (dependent students only) – requires a minimum enrollment of 6 credits between the fall semester and winter session. If you are interested in applying for the Parent PLUS loan, please do so by November 21st to meet the December 10th deadline.
- Graduate PLUS Loans (graduate students only) – requires a minimum of 5 credits between the fall semester and winter session. If you are interested in applying for the Graduate PLUS loan, please do so by November 21st to meet the December 10th deadline.
- Refunds – The earliest date that refunds are available for students who attend Virginia Tech during the fall semester and have direct deposit will be December 21st.
- If Winter Session is the first time you are attending Virginia Tech and enrolled in direct deposit, the earliest date your refund will be available is January 5th.