The Award Package & Receiving Aid
The award package is a list of the financial aid we can offer you for a particular aid year. It lists the types and the amounts of financial aid you can expect to receive at Virginia Tech. The aid may consist of federal, state, and private aid from the university and other sources.
Follow these steps to complete the final requirements needed to disburse your offered financial aid.
Review Your Virginia Tech Award Package
- HokieSPA>Financial Aid Information>My Award Information>Award Package by Aid Year>Award Overview Tab.
- Spend some time reading about the Loans and (or) Grants you have been offered.
- Accept, reduce or decline loans (on the "Accept Award Offer" tab found under HokieSPA Financial Aid Information).
- Complete the Online Loan Requirements
- First time Federal Direct Loan borrowers will need to complete the Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note online at studentaid.gov.
- Graduate PLUS and/or Parent PLUS borrowers must apply for the loan at studentaid.gov.
- Clarify Your Full-time/Part-time Status. If you are not going to be enrolled as a full-time student (12 credit hours undergraduate / 9 hours graduate), please notify our office at email@example.com.
Check for Outstanding Processing Requirements or Holds
- Review HokieSPA or MyVT for incomplete processing requirements, Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal requirements, and financial holds from the University Bursar.
- See our disbursement page on possible reasons for financial aid or refund delays.
Make Sure All Appropriate Parties Can Discuss Your Account
- Complete the FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Disclosure) on HokieSPA to specify the individuals to whom you authorize the release your financial aid information. We cannot release a student's financial aid information to anyone other than the student and individuals they have authorized to have access (including the student's parent or guardian).
Report Outside Scholarships
- Notify the Office of the Bursar of any outside aid (i.e. scholarships) by completing a Scholarship Reporting Form.