Winter Financial Aid
Winter Session is a shortened academic session which allows students to earn a minimum of 3 additional credits during the academic year.
Winter session financial aid is available only to students seeking a degree from Virginia Tech. Due to the limited availability of financial aid, funding is not guaranteed.
All students must complete the 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for any winter session aid. The FAFSA is available at www.fafsa.gov.
International Winter Experience Program - students participating in this program will need to complete the Global Education Documentation Form. We will receive notification of the cost of your program from the VT Education Abroad Office. We will update your cost of attendance to reflect the costs of this program, however, additional financial aid is not guaranteed.
Students must be registered for classes to be considered for aid. A separate financial aid application is not required.
Financial aid available for students enrolled less than half-time credits (fall semester and winter session combined):
- Winter Session Grant – This grant is funded by Virginia Tech. Unmet need, as determined by the FAFSA, is required.
- Pell Grant – eligible students enrolled in less than full-time for the fall semester and enrolled in Winter Session by fall census (Sept 19) will automatically be evaluated for potential Pell grant eligibility.
- Brookings Loan – This institutional loan is funded by Virginia Tech. Unmet need, as determined by the FAFSA, is required.
- Private/Alternative Loans –Please see http://www.finaid.vt.edu/types_of_aid/loans/alternative/index.html for additional information including application process. If you are interested in applying for a private loan, please do so by November 1st to meet the December 10th deadline.
In addition to the financial aid options listed above, the following options are available for students who will be enrolled half-time or more credits (fall semester and winter session combined):
- Federal Parent PLUS Loan (dependent students only) – requires a minimum enrollment of 6 credits between the fall semester and winter session. Additional information, including application process is available at http://www.finaid.vt.edu/types_of_aid/loans/plus-parent/index.html If you are interested in applying for the Parent PLUS loan, please do so by November 1st to meet the December 10th deadline.
- Graduate PLUS Loans (graduate students only) – requires a minimum of 5 credits between the fall semester and winter session. Additional information, including application process is available at http://www.finaid.vt.edu/types_of_aid/loans/plus-grad/index.html If you are interested in applying for the Graduate PLUS loan, please do so by November 1st to meet the December 10th deadline.
Refunds – The earliest date that refunds are available for students who attend Virginia Tech during the fall semester and have direct deposit is December 22.
If Winter Session is the first time you are attending Virginia Tech and enrolled in direct deposit, the earliest date your refund is available is January 9.