General Scholarships are awarded through the Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid.
Criteria for these scholarships vary and may include but are not limited to geographic location as defined by high school attended and/or city, county, or state of residence, academic achievement and financial need.
The amount of the scholarship will vary with the average range between $1500 and $3000 for an academic year. General Scholarship awards are one-time annual awards. Student must apply each year to be considered.
Types of General Scholarships
Need and Merit Based General Scholarships
In order to be considered for the these scholarships, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the January 15th deadline.
- No additional application is required.
- The awards will be made based on need and/or merit
- 1617 Need & Merit Scholarship Information (PDF | 192KB)
Competitive General Scholarships
These scholarships require that you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the General Scholarship Application available through the Scholarship Gateway by February 15th each year. Recipients are selected by committee members from throughout Virginia Tech.
- Using one file, write an essay for each scholarship that you will be applying for. Please use the listing to determine what your topic for the essay should be. Each essay should start with the name of the scholarship as a title. Each essay should be no more than two paragraphs.
- Log on to the Scholarship Gateway. If you are currently a Virginia Tech Student, use your Virginia Tech PID and password to access the Gateway through the log in page. If you are not a current Virginia Tech student, you can create an USFA user account at the Scholarship Gateway.
- Enter or Update your demographic information in the User Information Section and click submit.
- Go to the General Scholarship Application (GSA).
- Select each scholarship that you are applying for and enter any additional information that is requested.
- Upload your file with your essay(s) and click submit.
Awarding and Thank You Letter Instructions
General Scholarships will not be applied to the university bill until a formal letter of thanks is received at the Donor Relations Office. Please send one thank you letter for each scholarship awarded to the Virginia Tech Office of Advancement at the address below. This office will forward your letter to the scholarship donor.
Tips to assist you in preparing your letter:
Use a quality bond paper or your personal stationery.
- Type your letter or write your letter by hand. It should be legible and neat.
- Be sure to include the date, a proper closing (such as “Sincerely”) and your handwritten signature.
- Include your return address (your college address or your permanent home address).
- Use the scholarship name provided for your salutation. (Example: Dear Dr. Smith Scholarship Committee)
- Mention the name of the scholarship in your letter.
- Express your gratitude for the scholarship. Use the words, “thank you.”
- You may want to provide information about yourself to include your major, your hometown, your special interests, your campus activities, your goals, or why you selected Virginia Tech.
- Tell the donor how the scholarship will help you – particularly how it will help you reach your goals.
- Be clear and concise.
- Check your spelling and grammar carefully. Double check to be sure that you spell the donor’s name and scholarship name correctly.
- Thank You Letters should be directed to the following address:
Virginia Tech Office of Advancement (0336)
Attn: Donor Relations
Kathy Kaplan Mikkalson
902 Prices Fork Road
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Please contact our office if you have additional questions: