Summer Financial Aid
For summer financial aid, we use the same FAFSA as the prior fall and spring (see below), meaning that no additional FAFSA is required. Newly admitted students who attend the summer prior to the fall term of admission (e.g., for Summer Academy or to complete prerequisite courses) must be sure to file the appropriate FAFSA by June 30 (it will no longer be available after that date.) Awarding begins in late April and continues throughout the summer term.
While there may be limited grant funds available, summer aid is typically limited to loans: Stafford, Parent PLUS, Graduate PLUS, and Private/Alternative. Please see our loan comparison chart for more information. Summer Stafford Loan eligibility is limited to the unused annual maximum from the fall and spring semesters. PLUS and Private/Alternative Loan eligibility increases up to the additional summer term Cost of Attendance. Please be sure to indicate the correct summer enrollment dates for the on-line loan applications:
- Summer I - May to June
- Summer II - July to August
- Summer I & II - May to August
- Financial aid for Summer 2016 requires the 2015-2016 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Students must be enrolled at least half time (6 credits undergraduate / 5 credits graduate) in combination across both terms in order to receive federal loans (Stafford/Parent PLUS/Graduate PLUS).
- Students who enroll less than half time for Summer I- aid will not disburse until approximately 1 week after the Summer II term Census Date (7/12/15). Aid will appear as a pending credit on the account, but will not disburse to the account until this date has passed. Any refund (if applicable) would be available 1 – 2 weeks after this date.
- Summer financial aid will be based on enrollment at the time the award is processed. Students must notify our office of any changes in enrollment status by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Changes in enrollment may also result in a delay in financial aid disbursement or refunds (if applicable).
- Parents applying for a Federal Parent PLUS loan – please follow the instructions located here. Be sure to allow 2-3 weeks for processing.
- Graduate Students applying for a Graduate PLUS Loan - please follow the instructions located here. Be sure to allow 2-3 weeks for processing.
- Students applying for an Alternative Loan are strongly encouraged to file a FAFSA, but are not required. Please see our website for additional information.
- Audit credits do not count towards aid eligibility.
- Students attending a Summer Education Abroad program must complete the 2016-2017 Education Abroad Program Documentation Form.