Federal Work Study
Federal Work Study (FWS) is a program that provides part-time employment opportunities to eligible students to help meet expenses related to education.
Based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), eligible students are offered an allotment which may be earned through part-time employment in Federal Work Study (FWS) approved positions. More information can be found by accessing the Federal Work Study Student Guide (PDF | 338KB) . (Please note: not all campus jobs require FWS and it is not available during the summer.)
Benefits of Student Employment
Because of Virginia Tech’s academic reputation, many families assume that it is unwise for students to work during the academic year. However, studies show that students who work a modest number of hours per week will, on average:
- Have higher grade point averages
- Graduate at a faster rate
- Are Less likely to drop out
- Have more job skills to include on their resume
Why? Some possible explanations:
- Working students become better organized and manage their time better.
- Employment exposes students to more mentoring relationships and increases their interactions with “real world” people.
How to Find a Federal Work-Study Job
- To search for a FWS job, students will need to log on to Hokies4Hire system linked below, or from the Career Services website. Please note, new students will not have access to Hokies4Hire until after June 20th.
- Students will need to create a profile as well as upload a resume.
- Students will follow the instructions to search for FWS designated jobs (select work study as applicant type.)
- Virginia Tech Career Services is available to assist students with resume reviews, cover letters, interviewing skills etc.
Click on the link below to search for a FWS job if you have been awarded and have accepted FWS on your award notification at Hokie SPA. Students who obtain a FWS job must also complete the required documentation with the employer.
If you have questions regarding FWS, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.